Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fried Fish (Tamban or Herring-Sardinella)



Herring (Sardinella) or tamban, salinyasi, tunsoy, in Tagalog are popular fishes in the Philippines which can be processed into sardines (bottled in oil), canned, tinapa(smoked fish) dried salted fish(daing), fried fish, etc. Prices of this fish variety is not expensive and is lower compared to other fishes. Fish is a good source of proteins, calcium, iodine, riboflavin, and fats from fish is easy to digest.

Yesterday I bought a kilo of Tamban. Frying the fish is the only way to entice the appetites of my sisters, so without further ado, I cleaned the fishes and drain off excess water for about 15 minutes before adding the salt.


1/2 kg Tamban (herring)



  • 1/2 tsp. salt

  • oil for deep frynig

  • 2 big tomatoes sliced, for garnish

  • 2 med size onions, sliced

  • Vinegar & soy sauce for dipping

Preparation:


You may or may not scale the fish. Lay the fish on a cutting board use a sharp knife to cut the heads. Remove the entrails in the stomach. Rinse the fish inside out in running water. Drain off water. Salt the fish.


In hot oil, deep fry fishes in batches.


Arrange on platter. Garnish with slice tomatoes and onions.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, where did you buy your tamban?
I have been looking for this fish, it seems to be somewhat uncommon in manila's "palengkes".
Thanks!

sweetlee said...

I bought this fish at Zapote wet market. Tamban is available in all Met. Manila wet markets but I guess this is seasonal usually from summer till August.
Tks for visiting my blog. I have not posted for a long time. I'll try to catch up.

Blood Moon

I captured this Super Blood Moon last January 2018 from our balcony.